Saturday 9 May 2009

EXCLUSIVE Q & A - KAREN CARNEY


Here at womans Soccer Insider we will bring exclusive Q&A with the British stars of the WPS. First up for the grilling is Chicago Red Stars Karen Carney.




1. How hard a decision, if at all, was it to leave Arsenal to join the Chicago Red Stars?

It was a very hard because Arsenal is a great club with great people there. But the opportunity to become a professional was too good to turn down and it came at the best possible time in my life. So it was too good to miss out on.

2. What has been the biggest surprise to you on and off the field since being in America?

On the field the biggest surprise has been how physical the league is. I have been working on my strength for a while now but its so tough. Also another thing is how much i am learning is surprising. I am learning every day and in every game.

Off the field I am surprised how easy it is to live in Chicago and how accessible everything is. I thought I would struggle in the city but I love it and now call it home!!

3. How does the pace and skill of the WPS compare with the English game?

I would say that the English game is more skillful and technical. But here the pace of the game is probably three of four times faster. It’s so fast and also very physical. In England it’s not so physical. Here i come off with bruises and bumps and that’s just from training.

4. How did it feel to score your 1st goal in the league against the Boston Breakers?

It felt great, i was getting frustrated that i hadnt scored. so it was nice to get a goal. I felt like phewwww I’ve netted lets go from here.

5. What has it been like to play for ex-Arsenal coach Emma Hayes again?

Yer its great, Emma is easy to work with. She works on technical skills and the tactical information that i am familiar with. So it feels great to train every day and then play the games. Also it’s nice that someone understands me and some of my sayings and how important a good cup of tea is haha!!

6. Has it been difficult gelling with the players in the team as they are all from different countries and cultures?

Yes it was very difficult the first few weeks and was frustrating. I have come from Arsenal where there is a particular style of play, everyone has played with each other for such a long time and we had gelled.. so I found it extremely hard as did everyone else here to have 18 new players from all over the place and expect to perform. But as the days and weeks have gone. We have improved so much and we are getting better and better. It’s getting easier and I love training with my team and especially the games. It’s starting to feel like i have been here a while now!


7. Do you have your own house in Chicago? Who are your housemates?

I have an apartment and it’s in an unbelievable location. I’m steps from navy pier, near the beach and literally have everything around me. My apartment has a gym, pool, basketball court, cinema its crazy...but the best part is my sofa lol!!

I live with one of my team mates Marian Dalmy. But there are 9 other of my team mates that live in the same block which is great!!

8 . Who has been the toughest players you have come up against so far in the WPS?

So far a player that impressed me is Sonia Bompastor. Ive played her a few times when we played Lyon for Arsenal and against her on the national teams. She is so clever and her movement is great. She has been on fire in WPS so far and she has really impressed me.

Someone who hasn’t surprised me is Kelly she got player of the month here, i know shel continue to take the league by storm and i hope she will start to get the recognition she deserves!!

The toughest player i have come up against was Melissa Tancredi of Saint Louis. She is so physical everytime I got passed her she’d body check me it was really annoying me. But for me it was good because i know i won’t outstrength people in this league so now i am having to learn to use my head to get past physical players.

9. What are England’s chances at Euro 2009?

England are getting better and better each game!! We have recently won the Cyprus Cup and beat Norway 3 nil which was really good for our confidence. We played some good teams and are getting some good results. I think England have a great chance, but still have a long way to go and a lot to prepare for as a team. England have got a tough group and I think for who ever goes it will be important to take each game as it comes and try to overcome that challenge firstly. However if England are to do something big now is the time to do it.

10. Finally…What is it truly like to now be a professional footballer?

It’s amazing. I love the fact I am constantly on the ball, working on my touch, passing, shooting etc..i have to pinch myself everyday and think Kaz you could be working back in England with a regular 9-5 job being miserable. Or you can be outside kicking a ball doing something you love and playing in exciting and challenging games. This alone motivates me..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment