Saturday 1 August 2009

WPS BREAKING NEWS - DICICCO SUSPENDED..HIS RESPONSE



Boston Breakers head coach Tony DiCicco had some very interesting comments about the referee after the game against Washington Freedom regarding the red card incident shown to his defender Alex Scott. It was not the first time DiCicco has slammed the officials. He was fined and warned then but now the WPS hierarchy has suspended him for another outburst.

DiCicco's statement about his suspension.

In response to my game suspension, first of all, I want to apologize to the referee community, my Breakers players, the team owners and staff, the Breakers fans and all fans of WPS. My comments following the match vs. Washington were wrong. After review of the incident, the center referee, Jose Rivero, was justified issuing the red card and my comments about the quality of the refereeing in our league were made with the emotions of a difficult game having just finished. These comments do not truly reflect my feelings. I think overall the refereeing in WPS has been good and continues to get better and I applaud the commitment of the U.S. Soccer referee community. I have tremendous respect for referees and the difficult task they have with making split second decisions and how often they do, in fact, get it right.

Sometimes my emotion and passion gets the better of me and this is an example of that. I love the game of soccer and I love coaching and, specifically, coaching the Breakers. The referees are part of the game and I would not want to do anything to diminish their contributions or our great game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment