Friday 8 May 2009

ALEX SCOTT BLOG



Alex Scott is now going to be doing her own weekly blog for Foxsports.com here is the 1st.
Check it out weekly at http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Alex%20Scott/2009/05/06/Life_in_the_WPS_and_Boston


Life in the WPS and Boston

So I had been at Arsenal Ladies since I was 8 and grew up at the club that I have always supported. I thought i would always be at this club as i was such a fan of the men's team, but this year the WPS came knocking! i had heard about all the plans for the womens professional league to come back and had not really given it a major thought. I have a house in England I have two dogs, play for a top team, things are going well with the national team why would I leave that?well after speaking with Tony Diccico and Joe Cummings at the Boston breakers, I knew this was a decision that if I turned down I would regret. So after lots of talking and lots of back and forth, I made the hardest decision I have had to make to date, leave England for America.

Boston is now my new Home, and I must admit i do love this city it reminds me in some ways of London, so i don't feel to far away from home, Boston is always busy and there is always stuff going on and people to see, plus at night when the city is alight it looks beautiful. Added bonus, it is a great sports city!


One of the main reasons I decided to come and play in the WPS is because I really wanted to push my game to the next level. This league is really proving to be the best that there is because the simple fact is, no other league has the same amount of top quality players that this league does. Playing every week against the best attacking players that the women's game has is only going to make me the best defender/outside back that i can be.One week i am marking Abby wambach who has such a physical presence on the field and her aerial ability is amazing and such a threat, as well as Bompaster who really has such a great soccer brain with her movements off the ball and her passing abilities, the next week i am marking Marta... i think the name says it all, but one of the quickest and most skillful players that the league has.Every week i am being presented a new challenge/puzzle that i have to solve, and that's is why i am loving playing in the WPS.

One wish I would have had for this league would be for America to be a smaller country, wow!!! i really cannot believe how much time i am spending on a plane traveling to the different WPS teams. If you have been to England you will know that it is a fairly small country our furthest game was a 5 hour bus ride at the most. The first game to my shock horror i had to sit on a plane for 6 LONG HOURS. When i got off the other end i could not believe i was still in the same country. I could drive to Spain or France in less time than that. My teammates are now aware that this Brit is scared of flying. Its funny for my teammates whoever the lucky one maybe who sits next to me on the flight will find themselves laughing at my little screams everytime there is a bump.

So all in all life in the WPS and life in Boston is going great. My teammates are a wicked bunch (i think making fun of my English accent is never going to stop) my team make me do the cheer at the end of training just so i count to three so they can laugh at the way i say it.... one ... two ... three.. really not much difference is there - i don't get it???

We have three wins and two loses now, and we all know that we are nowhere near the finished article. We are starting to get used to each others style of play and movements, so things can only get better for the Boston breakers.Stay tuned for more more blogs, I will be updating you week by week on life in the WPS and being a Boston Breaker. i will leave you with things that I now say, which in England is sooooo different. Going back to play on the national team, if i say any of the following words, I will get so much stick (made fun off!!) - no American slang is what they have told me on my return home!

Soccer = Football. PK = penalty. Candy = chocolate. Mall = shopping center. Restroom = toilet. Pinnies = Bibs. Sweater = Jumper. Outside back = right/left back

By Alex Scott, the English Boston Breaker!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment