Tuesday 22 December 2009

MARTA & HOPE SOLO GRAB SILVERWARE

After missing out on the WPS title for 2009 Marta of the Los Angeles Sol and Hope Solo, Saint Louis Athletica finally and deservedly get their hand on a trophy.




The Los Angeles Sol forward Marta won her fourth consecutive FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year award last night in Zurich. She finished with 833 points, beating out three-time winner Birgit Prinz of Germany (290), England’s Kelly Smith (252), Brazil’s Cristiane (239) and Germany’s Inka Grings (216).

Having now won the award more times than any other player, the Brazilian sorceress was understandably delighted. "I'm so surprised. I want to thank to God for everything that is happening to me in my life. Also, I want to thank my colleagues at Los Angeles Sol, Santos and in the national team. This is an individual award but without my colleagues I could not stand out and win any prize. I am happy for this 4th award.
I hope it helps women's football to grow."




Hope Solo
is the 2009 Female Athlete of the Year, becoming the first goalkeeper to win the U.S. Soccer honor.Solo earned the votes from the public and votes compiled from members of the national media and U.S. Soccer representatives, including national team coaches and the members of the U.S. Soccer Board of Directors.
Solo allowed only one goal in just six matches for the national team.She was named MVP of the Algarve Cup in Portugal in March after leading the USA to the championship over Sweden and helped Saint Louis Athletica to a second-place finish in the WPS regular season.

Topping of a great first season in WPS Solo was named WPS Goalkeeper of the year in August.

“It’s a huge honor but also a really nice surprise to be voted the female athlete of the year for U.S. Soccer,” said Solo. “I especially want to thank everyone for voting for a goalkeeper, as well as our goalkeeper coach Paul Rogers for helping me think about the position in a more sophisticated way, both technically and tactically.” “Certainly, I also want to share any accolades with our defense, from the backs all the way up to the forwards, as well as Pia and our coaches who have put together a great team of people and players as we keep moving forward in a positive direction to the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup.”

Congratulations to both from womans soccer insider.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment