Thursday 16 July 2009

Catch Up With Kaz 'the Carnage' Carney


Fair Game cross atlantic interview with Kaz Carney

We caught up with England’s former Birmingham City and Arsenal winger, Karen Carney, a month back, to check how she was finding life in the Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) league in the USA, with her new club Chicago Red Stars….Kaz replied super quick [on her way back from training] presumably on her favourite new ‘toy’…read on to find out more…

1. Have your first few months in the US and in the WPS been what you expected?
The first few months have been really good. When I got here initially I think it was a shock to the system in new team mates, city, coaches and the weather..but now I thoroughly enjoying my time here. I honestly don't know what I expected but I'm definitely glad to be here.

2. Do you feel that your game has changed/improved over the last 2 months of training full time?
I have definitely learned something new every day, whether it be on the field or off it. Already, it has been the biggest learning curve yet to date for me. Perhaps it’s best to ask others to see if I have improved but I definitely feel stronger, the league is so physical, so adapting to that has been hard.

3. How have you found the life of a professional footballer?
Life as a pro has been great. Like I previously said, you learn something new everyday, whether it be a new technique or run or even different strategies other players use to perform.
You have to always be prepared and are expected to turn up in the best physical condition.

4. The pace of the games seems to be so fast and frenetic. How does that compare to domestic games back home?
The pace of the game is a lot faster here than back home. The U.S. players have always been renowned for their speed and strength and that is definitely the way of the league.

5. It’s only been one trip back and one game but how was the travel and quick turnaround before being expected to train and play?
It was actually fine. We were advised on our travelling, of when and when not to sleep, and I think that really helped. The England staff were really good and didn't rush us straight in, so, I felt relatively fresh.

6. Again, only one game to use as evidence but was it easier to step from the pace of a WPS game into an international than from the FAWPL, or just different again?
Yes, I think it was slightly easier. I was able to hold my own a bit more. Norway were a physical team and I felt due to the WPS being so physical, I could cope with that much better. But internationals, WPS and FAWPL are all so very different.

7. Who has been your toughest opponent in the WPS, so far, and why?
The toughest player I have come up against is Formiga of Brazil. She is amazing. I call her the ‘silent assassin’. She makes FC Gold Pride tick going forward and in defence, but remarkably she might go unnoticed. Until you play with or against her, I guess you might not appreciate her role. For me, she is the best midfielder in the world.

8. How are you settling in – do you like life in Chicago?
Chicago is beautiful. When I first got here it was so cold, I couldn't cope! Emma [Hayes, Chicago Red Stars Head Coach and former Arsenal Asst. Coach] was like, ‘The warmer weather is on its way.’ 3 months down and the weather is here, lol. But I live in a great location and every thing is so accessible. :-) I really like it in Chicago and am glad I am in this city.

9. Are people always commenting on your accent? (Or does it help having Emma Hayes and Ifeoma Dieke (Scottish) there too?)
People really can't understand me at all. But thankfully Emma knows what I am rabbiting on about and also the Aussie girls appear to be on the same page as me. But when I have done appearances [for the club] the kids have had to ask their mums to translate and even then they don't get me, so I find it easier to talk their soccer terminology, lol.

10. What are your team like to hang with? Do you spend quite a lot of time together?
My team are amazing. Emma did a lot of work to get the right players, both off and on the field, and I truly get on with everyone and think they are great! She did a great job! I share with one of my team mates who is really cool and we get on like a house of fire. But in our block there are 12 of us. So it’s kind of like a hotel, you just nip in and out of everyone’s rooms for visits.

11. Has anyone been out from home to visit you?
Yeah, mum and dad came out a few weeks ago, that was great. I loved having them here, it made such a difference. Hopefully, I will get some more visits from other family members and friends too.

12. A shout out to Birmingham City – it was a pretty historic and proud day for that club to have helped produce the first two English players to take to the field in the WPS. Did you think about that or did anyone get in touch to wish you luck?
Yes it was great. Me and Eni [Aluko, of St. Louis Athletica] both said, ‘Oh my god, how far have we come since we met at 11 years old?’ And, yes, I had a few messages, so that was nice. Birmingham is a great club and I speak to my old coaches: Marcus Bignot, Michael Moore and Laura Harvey, all the time. I call them my ‘footballing’ family.

13. Are you addicted to ‘twitter’ yet? (I think we know the answer!)
Ha ha. I'm not addicted to ‘twitter’. I bought a Blackberry Curve here and I'm obsessed with that and ‘twitter’ is on my previous page, so I just update it. But I mainly go on it to have some banter between Alex and Kelly, although they need some work on their jokes! I didn't realise our conversations were being followed and were been written about in the press...I find it very funny!

Fair Game : The Women's Football Magazine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment