Thursday 16 July 2009

Catch Up With Kelly..

Fair Game also caught up with Kelly.

Until this March, the only English female player to have played professionally in the USA - with the Philadelphia Charge in the WUSA - where she was a fan’s favourite but also plagued by serious injuries, Kelly Smith is again wowing American crowds, this time in the WPS for the Boston Breakers.

Amazingly, she still picked up the top scorer award for the FA Women’s Premier League this May, despite making the switch from her beloved Arsenal, across the Atlantic to Massachussetts, back in Feburary.

The goals are still flowing and life sounds good, news that all England fans will be delighted hear. FG tied Kelly to a tree on Boston Common (not really) and forced her to answer some of our nosey questions….

1. Have the first few months in the WPS been what you expected?
It has been what I expected. The football has been messy and scrappy - the first few months - as we are all getting to know each other and the way that we all play. It has definitely made my life easier having experienced playing out here in 2001 in the WUSA. It has made me settle in better, as I know what to expect.

2. How have you found the life of a professional footballer, second time around?
It\'s really enjoyable and doesn\'t feel like a job at all. I was really young in the league before and probably took it a bit for granted but now I am able to appreciate my situation more. I wake up every morning knowing I am doing something I love.

3. Only one England game to use as evidence but was it easier to step from the pace of a WPS game into an international than from the FAWPL or is it just different again?
I wouldn\'t say it\'s any different when we meet up with England. The pace in England training is so much faster than it is at club level and we have a week in camp to prepare for games. So, for me playing in the WPS is no different to how we always prepared for games with England.

4. How are you settling in and do you like life in Boston?
I love Boston, it\'s a great city with loads too do. There\'s plenty of shopping, restaurants, coffee shops and cool places to hang out. I live right off the Charles River, in Cambridge, where it is full of life, with people running, walking their dogs and cycling.

5. What are your team like to hang with? Do you spend quite a lot of time together?
My team mates are cool. We do hangout after training, maybe get lunch or dinner. Once a week we take it in turns at cooking at different team mates’ houses or we eat together at a restaurant. We try to get to a bar on Saturdays to watch the live WPS game on TV too. As the team is new, everyone comes from all over the country and abroad, so it\'s good to socialize and get to know the team outside of training.

6. Are you fed up with people copying your accent yet?
No, it\'s funny when they try to copy. They say that they love hearing the English accent, as to them it sounds ‘proper’. Kristine Lilly does the best accent.

7. How high profile are the Breakers’ team in the city? Are you getting recognised?
I was recognized in the mall by an English family who were in Boston for the weekend – how weird - and on the train, so far. The league is still so fresh and new we are getting out into the community to make it aware that Boston Breakers are back.

8. What is it like working with Tony DiCicco?
Tony is a great guy, who is very passionate about the game. He knows how to gel a team and get us playing. He is very honest and a winner. He wants the Breakers to be like a family, away from home.

9. Are you getting rough treatment from opponents or are your team mates and the refs protecting you?
Tony [DiCicco] told me, I was the most fouled player in the league to date, apparently. That\'s a compliment, as teams know I am a threat and want to stop me. Most games I get 2-3 players around me when I get on the ball, so I have to release the ball quickly, as my team mates are open. I personally don\'t think the refs give enough protection to the more skilful players. Ask Marta?!

10. Who has been the toughest opponent in the WPS, so far?
I would say Washington. They gave us a tough time at home recently, we had previously beaten them 3-1 at their field but they have really improved and kept the ball so well, for long periods in the game. It was frustrating to play in.

11. Are you surprised with your individual form or were you pretty confident you would ‘tear up the league’?
I am not surprised with my form, I was playing well for Arsenal and was confident coming into Boston that I could do well with my link-up play and also score goals. I was pleased to get the first ‘player of the month’ award.

12. Are you sad that you might potentially miss the post season games or does it not bother you too much – it’s Euro 2009 after all!?
It will be tough missing the games if we do make the play offs, but playing for your country at a major tournament is what it\'s all about. And, if selected, my main focus will be there with the national team.

13. Has anyone been out from home to visit you?
The whole month of June I have various friends coming and going, plus my mum and dad will be out for 10 days, so I will be happy to have them close by, for a while.

14. Who is more excited to be reunited, when you visit home – you or your dog!?
I miss my dog so much! I have had her since she was a pup. I originally got her from the USA in Philly. I chose not to bring her over for 6 months as she is now 8 and I thought the flight would stress her out. She has a nice comfy life with my family but I can\'t wait to be reunited with her when I am back in September.

15. Are you addicted to Twitter yet? (I think we know the answer!)
Yep, I\'m addicted. I love going on and seeing what my friends are doing and it also gives fans an update of what I am doing. The WPS really likes the idea of ‘twitter’ as you can reach out to your audience.

Fair Game : The Women's Football Magazine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment